Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Andy You Sonofabitch- 2/?

The second my eyes shut, my mind opened up to that crooked world- where the strangest things never get questioned.

I was in some bar, not a very big joint. The bar was about 5 seats long. There was a dance-floor but as is the case in dreams it was only a dance floor half the time. Sometimes I would look over my shoulder and there were tables. With people. Didn't strike me as odd. The bar tender was in a very involved argument with what at first appeared to be a patron but I came to know (somehow) this man owned the place. The bar girl was crying and pounding the bar but no one was distracted from their beers. No one spoke to each other or made any eye contact. 

The next thing I knew I was in a booth with the Bar girl. She was no longer crying but angry. Furious even. We had food and I couldn't see the bar anymore. The dance-floor was tables.

'What did he do?' I asked. I was confused. I knew as much as I can relate about the situation now as I did at this point in the dream. She began yelling at me and slamming the table.

the slamming got very loud.

I awoke to Mary wildly jerking at the handle on our dresser's top drawer. It had a tendency to stick. 

'Fuckin drawer.' She muttered not yet seeing my open eyes. Mary had been bitter for months. She had played the piano her whole life and was now unable due to unyielding arthritis in her wrists and fingers.She could hardly straighten her fingers to reach the keys and it killed her. My Mary wouldn't come to any performances I was involved in stating she couldn't watch other people hang this sort of thing in front of her face while she withered and died. Her attitude wasn't always so dark, and she wasn't dying. She was however changing.

'Good-morning.' I offered. She looked down at me.

'Are you ever going to fix this?' She asked wincing her face and rubbing a sore tangled hand.

'Yeah. I'll do it today.' I replied. I wasn't surprised this was how the day was starting. It was becoming normal. I missed Mary.

She left and I closed my eyes. I didn't sleep I just imagined her playing 'As Long as I Live' in our living room, on a piano that now sleeps all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment