Thursday, December 10, 2009

Christmas with Bunny Berigan- 2/2

I had been a Devoted Bunny Berigan fan for the year prior to my falling into his circle of friends. I too was a trumpet player and was at the time being represented by the same man who set Berigan up with his first band. At a dinner with the band leader Abe Lyman (also someone who's work I had followed) I was invited to see Berigan play at a banquet for 'Chicago's Best' As Lyman put it. We had differing definitions of the word 'best' it turned out. 

I showed up early and didn't feel right without a drink in my hand. There was an opeining act playing upbeat versions of Christmas songs and a couple old timers dancing along. The floor was for the most part an empty thing. An hour and 3 glasses of wine later the hall had filled up. There were all sorts of famous bodies positioned on center amongst vast audiences.

'Hows the new film?'  I'd hear an eager fan shout toward some Director.

'It has been more than a good year my friend' Laughs some wealthy, lucky mustachioed to his tax bracket.

I kept to myself except the necessary hellos to my manager and his entourage. An hour and 2 glasses later I was standing in a room with a bunch of villains. 'These types break fingers, I can't get my fingers broken! the trumpet!' I worried, knowing Bunny was blowing freely- un- threatened under the same roof. Bastard.

'So' The crook at the table began. By this time the other tough guys in the room seemed less threatening. They were drunk and red faced. Smiling. ' We got a guy watchin' the car, Gordy's his name.' 

'HAH! Gordy!' A pimply string bean shot out.

'Poor basterd!' The bear with the booze called, swigging his bottle.

'What you're going to do is give him a scare. You ever use a gun kid?' The Crook said. He grabbed a shooter off the table. I had somehow missed it.

I nod.

' Just go out there' He starts, laughing to his boys. ' And take a couple shots near his feet. He'll lose it!' They all laughed. 'H'ell loooose it!' The Crook repeated banging the table. He extended the gun to me and I could feel my eyes widen. I probably looked like a kid to them.

'So, just shoot the ground by his feet and...take off?' I asked trying to make sure I wasn't about to make a mistake with the Mob.

They all laughed.

'Yeah yeah thats it kid HAHAHAHA' The Bear called raising his bottle.

I grabbed the gun and slid it down into my jacket pocket. I wasn't about to say no to these guys. No way. I was there wipping boy now. I guess Gordy was really the sucker but what did I care. I knew he wasn't getting shot. I wasn't so sure my night would end well. 'They're drunk and happy' I assured myself. 'Holidays, no beatings on holidays.' I repeated.


I opened the cursed door that had landed me in all this trouble and re-entered the Banquet Hall. The place was loud and buzzing. Berigan had gone off stage. There would be a charity raffle and a speech, then another set By the Bunny Berigan band. I pushed through the crowd shaking my head, trying hard to wish away this ridiculous predicament. By the time I had made it to the door I was shaking. Shooting at Mobsters was something my mother never needed to warn me of. It was dumb and that was clear to see.

I walked out the back door where the parking lot was and took the cold. As if I wasn't trembling enough. My eyes snapped from corer to corner searching for my man, Gordy. There was someone in an overcoat with the collar up drinking from a flask and leaning on the outside wall of the Banquet hall. I figured him a drunk and didn't worry he would notice I was the shooter. 'I really don't need this.' I worried. 'Not good PR' 

I spotted who I took to be Gordy leaning on a mercedes. He was defiantly skittish which  was about all the description I was offered. 'Fuck it' I muttered to myself. I walked briskly over to where he stood. He was looking at me the whole time. 'Great start'.  I pulled the gun about ten feet from him.

BAM 

BAM

BAM

I let 3 go into the ground in-front of the sucker. I did feel a bit tough for a second until I saw he had a shooter of his own. 

'Die fucker!' Gordy shouted. 

'Oh Fuck!' I shouted back turning tail and beginning toward the Hall again. Fast. Gordy let 2 more go before I reached the door. I saw them hit the wall on either side of the entrance and nearly lost it. He wasn't too bad of a shot. I grabbed the handle to the door and twisted. The handled spun but the door would not budge. Gordy shoots again- into the door now. There was screaming inside. 'Shit! They heard and barred the door!' I realized. I looked to my left and the drunk had jumped behind a car in-between the Hall and a majority of the parked cars. Two steps, a tumble and I was next to him, crouched. He was planted ass-first in the snow sucking his flask furiously. When the drunk pulled it away from his face I could see who it was. 

Fuckin' Bunny Berigan. Drinking in the cold.

'Shit- I'm a huge fan' I shout out a hand to shake.

'What the hell did you do kid!?' Bunny said angry.

'Its hard to expla--' I started but was interrupted by a bullet shattering the windshield of the car we hid behind.' I got tied up with some-' I tried to explain again.

'Forget it it kid. Look, I don't want to be caught out here, I aint' supposed to be drinkin' you see? I also don't want my ass shot off so lets take this car and get the fuck out of here eh?' Bunny demanded as he screwed the cap on his flask.

I nodded.

'Im gonna fuckin' end you ya sonofabitch!' Gordy called from behind some luxury car. I peaked out and could see he was taking blind shots now.

'Now! lets go!' I said starting up and pulling Bunny with me. He was drunk and heavy. I had sobered up quickly. About the time I was handed the gun I ceased being drunk. I peaked in the car we were behind, the keys were inside. Bunny Climbed through to the passenger side and I got in the driver's seat. I twisted the keys, stomped my foot and we fishtailed our way out onto the icy street. After some sliding I gained control and we were safe.

'Fuckin holidays' Bunny shrugged once again opening his flask.

'Fuckin Bunny Berigan' I Added. 


No comments:

Post a Comment