Friday, August 28, 2009

Part 2-"Rhythm is our business" Said Lunceford to Smith

...Two weeks earlier this same beach was smiles, songs; nurses in next to nothing. Beer thanks to the Colonel. Paradise on the border of a war. Every friday we would shrug our duties for the whole day and set up at the beach. Three months on the island and our system was flawless.

 9 Am- the Cooks and the Mechanics (who all happened to be decent and passionate chefs in their own ways .) Set up the giant trough grill, and began cooking. Everyone would make their way to the large courtyard a the the fore of the base. Standing in the courtyard looking out at the beach, the radio tower would be directly behind, The Nurses station to the right, and the living quarters to the left.

It didn't take long to wire our record player to the base speakers (which I had installed myself) and have the sound of Bunny Berigan's "Trees" in our ears as we poured our coffee. We had the best coffee. If I wasn't so caught up in the little world we'd created I might feel bad about spending the government's war bucks on Premium roast and Blatz but what the fuck, I was just following orders anyhow. 

Usually on fridays my job was surf lessons. I had come up with this job on my own, and while it seemed a helpful gesture  to the cause of those who had no clue how to ride a wave, It was for me. I had figured that all the fellas on this island either knew how to surf just fine, or didn't know cause they didn't care. This left only the Female nursing staff wondering what this sport had to offer. Paradise. Every friday.

"Alright girls, now hop up on your knees!" I shout to the row of nurses all lying on their boards. Jesus H. Christ.

"Having fun playing with your dolls then?" A shout comes from behind. I Don't need to turn to know who it is. Her deliberate tongue, Joy. She mouthed off more than any woman I had ever met, but she was good looking enough to get away with it. Smart too.

"I am infact!" I still hadn't turned. I walked over and adjusted the closest girls posture with a gentle tap on the lower back. She straightened out. I turned. "Care to join us?" I asked to Joy.

"ha!" she throws her head back, messing her dark red hair, stopping just where her shoulders end. Untied." No I was just coming over to say I appreciate the flowers, Your an ass but Ill miss you when I leave." She was still in her uniform. Most of us were in some form of bathing suit or another, but she knew the power that pencil skirt had. 

"Ah you won't miss me." I replied, walking a little closer. The nurses kept practicing hopping up on their knees. They had started gathering a crowd, but I had become uninterested."You got yer New York newspaper world to keep you busy. All those real bright writers with ten assistants to carry around their seven pocketbooks, and 15 guys to keep track of those ten guys" I started smacking my fingers as if to count " Oh and that loft with the view!" I fell back into the sand with my hand on my head as if to faint. 

"Oh come off it." She laughed "I have a bit more to write then you and I will have a drink?" she started turning away but kept her eyes fixed on mine, as I lay on the sand.

"Yeah, Ill be around" I said back. She walked off and I put my hand over my eyes to block the sun. I pictured her naked.

Next on the schedule we had fallen into, after everyone ate, was a toast lead by Colonel Brighton. "As I raise the first glass of the day, as I hope to one day raise the flag over Tokyo-" Everyone cheers " ah ah ah not yet! As I raise the first glass of the day, as I hope to one day raise the flag over Tokyo, I drink to raise the spirits of those who have fallen, and toast to them." Everyone raised their glasses and there was a half second of silence before Brighton shouts "The unlucky bastards!" and downs his entire cup. Cheers- and we begin. 

The air by this time stunk of grilled meat and coal. Beers were being tossed back and forth and everyone was wearing a smile. By now even the true warriors, who craved battle, who wanted Japanese blood, had given up and begun enjoying themselves.  The Colonel and he's entourage stood around the makeshift bar we had put together. The top was covered in assorted bottles. None of it was cheap either. I had to wonder what his personal stock was made up of. They already looked drunk and it was only about Noon.

Charlie Barnet's "The Right Idea" came on the PA and a few of the guys took a few of the girls and swung em around. One of the nurse girls approached me . Jeanie ,blonde, little pony tail, about 19 I'd say. She had her swim suit on still,Red and white stripped, but had thrown one of the mechanics dark blues over her shoulders and tied it up in such a way so she didn't have to button it. She had a cigarette hanging out of her mouth. "Whats the idea Bill?" She said bumping up against my side to the music, pushing me a bit.

"Alright alright" I grabbed her waist and led her out toward the boards we'd set on the ground. Not the best dance floor but it did the trick. We started moving.

"That was a good lesson today, I think im about ready to go in the water..." Jeanie said puffing on her cigarette which she had hanging out of her mouth.

I grabbed it from her with my left hand and kept here in rhythm with my right, on her back.I took a drag and put it back into her mouth. "Wanna give it a shot?" I pushed her out with a spin and pulled her back quick and a little closer than before.

"How about t'nite? it'll still be warm im sure of it" She said more quietly. Just as I began to smile I looked over across the courtyard to see Brennan Masters, and for all intensive purposes, this was his girl I was dancing with. She was wearing his shirt at least. I Averted my eyes. He was a quiet fellow. Always reading. He'd gone and grown a beard, the mechanics generally did.

"What'd Master think of that?" I said. She pulled away and looked me in the face. We weren't moving anymore.

"No ones nobodys!" She said loud. Then she came in close again with her hands crawling up my back  and said half as softly "What old Brenny Boy don't know won't hurt him."

"Fuckin A" I pecked her on the cheek and lifted her off. "Be good Jeanie!" and I started away. I had to find Joy.

I pushed around the groups of people chatting and drinking. Some of the Fighting men were horsing around playing war. They were here to guard the tower against attacks we never thought would come, all they could do was play war. My focused shot passed them, through their battle of laughter and sand throwing, to Joy sitting alone on a small grassy hill on the edge of the sand. She had a glass of something that looked full so I didn't feel I had to bring her anything. Plus, I had a beer in my hand, freshly opened, and one in my shirt pocket. It didn't fit well but it worked. I jogged over and through the firing line . "Friendly fire!" I shouted as I was hit with a Chunk of torn up grass.

"Don't tell me your playing war too" Joy said turning her head toward me as I emerged from the fray.

"Not my thing." I replied and sat down.

No comments:

Post a Comment